For tonight’s Small Group Training Session I made the most delicious carrot cake bars (if I do say so myself.) I like to bring in “healthy” treats for my participants & as soon as I saw this recipe in Fitness Magazine, I knew I wanted to try it out. I kept it very similar to the original recipe. In the future I may try to replace some of the sugar with brown rice syrup, but until then…this is how I made them tonight:
Carrot Bar Ingredients:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 7 egg whites slightly beaten
- ½ cup applesauce
- ½ cup canola oil
- 3 cups finely shredded carrot
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees & coat a 9 x 19 Pyrex dish with cooking spray.
- Stir together dry ingredients.
- Spread batter into Pyrex dish & bake until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean…about 25-30 minutes.
- Cool completely!
- Frosting: beat together powdered sugar & cream cheese until smooth & spread over cooled cake.
- Cut into 48 bars. (one serving size=one bar)
Nutrition per bar:
- 106 calories
- 3.2g fat
- 19.7g carbohydrate
- 0.4g fiber
- 14.8g sugar (ouch!)
- 1.7g protein
Oh yum! These are very moist and taste amazing. So amazing, that one bar is totally satisfying of even the biggest sweet tooth (mine!) Have a great night guys!